TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Creating Boundaries in GeoJSON.io
- Editing Boundaries in GeoJSON.io
- Saving Boundaries Created in GeoJSON.io
- Importing Boundaries into Daily Planner
Boundaries used in Appian Daily Planner are typically created using DirectRoute, which saves drawings in its proprietary .drw format. Daily Planner accepts this format and also accepts an open standard format called GeoJSON.
If you are a customer who does not use DirectRoute, you can create boundaries using a third-party tool called GeoJSON.io. This guide will cover how to use GeoJSON.io to draw, edit, save, and upload them to Daily Planner.
Creating Boundaries in GeoJSON.io
- Open your web browser (GeoJSON works best in Google Chrome), and navigate to https://geojson.io/.
- Once the site loads, you are presented with two panels: a main, map panel, and a code editor in a slide-out panel on the right:
- To get started, click New at the top-left of the map panel:
- Using the mouse, you can drag the map to pan it and zoom by rotating the wheel while holding Ctrl. You can search for the location you wish to begin drawing in by typing it into the Search field, located at the top-right of the map panel:
- Drag the map to the area you wish to begin drawing, then click the drawing tool you wish to use, or use their respective keyboard shortcuts to select them. The drawing tools are located in the map panel below the Search field. There are three drawing tools you can select from:
- Draw Polygon (p)
- Draw Rectangular Polygon (r)
- Draw Circular Polygon (c)
- Click the map to place each point, then double-click when you are done. Each tool draws differently:
- The Draw Polygon and Draw Rectangular Polygon tools highlight a shaded area on the map as you drag.
- The Draw Circular Polygon tool draws a radius from the initial point on the map clicked.
- To add an EQCode to a boundary, click anywhere inside the newly-drawn polygon, and a Properties dialog will appear:
- With the Properties tab selected, enter the following information in the cells:
- Enter name in Cell 1, in lowercase.
- Enter the EQCode in Cell 2.
- Click Save when you are done. This closes the Properties dialog.
- Repeat Steps 5-9 to draw all required boundaries. Boundaries can overlap, if necessary.
NOTE: The text in Cell 1 must say name with no other text. Cell 2's EQCode must match with a corresponding EQCode in Daily Planner.
Editing Boundaries in GeoJSON.io
You can edit and refine your boundaries prior to saving. Editing allows you to fine-tune or correct any errors you may have made during the polygon creation process.
- Click the Edit geometries button, located under the polygon drawing tools:
- Click any point on the polygon. Drag the point to where you wish to move it.
- To add additional points to the polygon, click on the boundary line, creating a new point. Drag the point where you wish to move it.
- Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for each polygon you need to modify.
- Click Save under Editing Geometries when you are done:
Saving Boundaries Created in GeoJSON.io
After you have finished drawing your boundaries in GeoJSON.io, you will need to save them prior to importing them into Daily Planner. This requires you to copy the code created by the site, paste the code into your favorite text editor (such as the Windows Notepad or Notepad++), save the file with a .json extension, and upload that file into Daily Planner.
- In GeoJSON.io, hover over the code editor, and click the Copy button. This copies that data to the Clipboard. Please note this button only appears on hover:
- Open a text editor such as Windows Notepad or Notepad++, and open a new, blank file if necessary.
- Press Ctrl+V to paste the data from the clipboard into the text editor.
- Press Ctrl+S, and save the file to a location of your choice (such as your Desktop) with a name of your choice such as “boundaries.json”.
TIP: Surrounding the file name in quation marks will save the file with that exact name and extension.
Importing Boundaries into Daily Planner
If you already haven’t, follow the steps in Saving Boundaries Created in GeoJSON first, then follow the steps below to upload and import your boundaries to Daily Planner.
- Follow the steps under Saving Boundaries Created in GeoJSON.io if needed, then return to Daily Planner.
- Click Boundaries on the lefthand navigation (a), then Upload Boundaries (b).
- Either browse to the boundary file you created or drag it into Daily Planner (c). Click Upload (d) when you are done.
- You can now use your newly uploaded boundaries with the Route Building Wizard.